Benvenuto!

RH è il posto ideale per ogni retrogiocatore che si rispetti. Se vuoi farne parte e poter commentare gli articoli o partecipare alle discussioni del forum, registrati.

Registrati

annuncio

Comprimi
Ancora nessun annuncio.

Pole Position - La conversione per Atari ST/STE... 32 anni dopo

Comprimi
X

• Filtro
  • Ora
  • Visualizza
Elimina tutto
nuovi messaggi

Pole Position - La conversione per Atari ST/STE... 32 anni dopo

Si tratta di un interessante progetto inaugurato nel luglio del 2012 e ancora molto acerbo a livello di frame rate. Vedremo se l'autore, tale chicane ( https://twitter.com/RetroRacing/stat...89358080409600 ), riuscirà ad ottimizzarlo per Atari 520ST (512 kB di RAM):

"Pubblicato in data 21/mar/2014

Here's a video showing current progress as of 21 March 2014 on my Pole Position arcade conversion for the Atari ST. The first 15 seconds show part of a demo sequence and the title screen, after which a player (me) controlled qualifying and race session is shown.

You'll see lots of graphical glitches and a jerky frame rate in this video. I understand the cause of most of the graphical glitches and am slowly working through these.

The jerky frame rate should also be addressed over time - I don't imagine it'll ever be as smooth as Super Hang-On or Lotus, but the final release should be significantly better than what you see here.

Sadly I only have around 8-10 hours per week to spend on this at the moment so progress is slow. Feel free to follow my semi-regular progress updates at Twitter @RetroRacing.

Feedback welcome!
    "

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26068
    Ultima modifica di AlextheLioNet; 19-07-2015, 13:38.
    Alessio "AlextheLioNet" Bianchi
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

"The game will never be over. Because we're keeping the dream alive." (Freiheit, "Keeping the Dream Alive")

Nuovo video "Atari ST Pole Position - work in progress 26 April 2014" pubblicato appunto ieri:

gridleaderretro: "Here's another work in progress video for Atari ST Pole Position, showing progress made in the last month. The video firstly shows the demo mode, after which a player-controlled qualifying session and race is completed.

New features/improvements shown in this video include:

- Starting lights
    - Puddles in track during race session
    - 'Game Over' caption during demo mode
    - Better frame rate
    - Checkered road markings at start line
    - Less glitchy opponent car rendering
    - Less glitchy background scrolling
    - Correct colours on title screen
    - Exploding cars
    - Correct flashing of colours during post qualifying/race report

There are still lots of incomplete features and glitches, but I hope to iron many of these out before the next update
    ."
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

"The game will never be over. Because we're keeping the dream alive." (Freiheit, "Keeping the Dream Alive")

Commenta

Altro video altra corsa Atari ST Pole Position - work in progress 29 August 2014 (la cosa inizia a diventare interessante... ):

[ gridleaderretro ] - "Pubblicato il 29/ago/2014

Here's the latest work on my arcade conversion of Atari/Namco's Pole Position coin-op for the Atari ST.

My focus since the last update back in April has been predominantly on performance and bugfixing rather than new features. Several time-critical routines have converted from C to m68k assembly language, giving a frame rate increase of approximately 60% on the previous video.

I'm done optimizing for now, and will be shifting my focus back to features in the coming weeks. Things I'm planning to work on include:

- Finishing the support structure of the start line so it's no longer levitating
      - Getting a better grasp of the ST hardware and adding a reasonable engine sound
      - Adding the blimp that appears at the start and end of qualifying
      - Working out how I can reduce the footprint of the game to work on a 520ST.

Keep an eye on Twitter @retroracing or the Atari Forum topic at http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...26068&start=25 for frequent-ish updates on progress
      ."

Commenta

decisamente piu' fluido rispetto a prima, ma l'originale credo sia inarrivabile su questo fronte. La cosa mi fà un pò rabbia, soprattutto alla luce del fatto che stiamo parlando di un gioco del 1982 (seppur per l'epoca decisamente potente e con circuiteria dedicata allo scopo di simulare un effetto treddi')
        http://altribit.blogspot.com/

Commenta

Originariamente inviato da Gedeone de Infortunis Visualizza il messaggio
          decisamente piu' fluido rispetto a prima, ma l'originale credo sia inarrivabile su questo fronte. La cosa mi fà un pò rabbia, soprattutto alla luce del fatto che stiamo parlando di un gioco del 1982 (seppur per l'epoca decisamente potente e con circuiteria dedicata allo scopo di simulare un effetto treddi')

Credo anch'io... anche se è possibile che vi siano degli ulteriori miglioramenti... anche tenendo conto che il salto di qualità tra aprile e agosto dovrebbe essere dipeso soprattutto da questo: "Several time-critical routines have converted from C to m68k assembly language, giving a frame rate increase of approximately 60% on the previous video". Ho idea che ci vorrà ancora un po' prima che (forse) si arrivi alla release finale.

In ogni modo è interessante seguire i dietro le quinte di questi progetti tramite i relativi topic di AtariAge
          Ultima modifica di AlextheLioNet; 27-09-2014, 01:00.

Commenta

L'ultimo post dell'autore nell'aposito thread di Atari-Forum ( http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...6068&start=100 ) risale a tre mesi fa, ma credo (e spero) che il progetto vada avanti e un video su YouTube datato 31 ottobre mi fa pensare che sia così :

Commenta

Nuovo video e novità sostanziali sul progetto, visto che l'hardware interessato ora è un Atari STE con 1 MB di RAM (attenzione: Pole Position si mostra da 0:25 in poi, con i primi secondi di filmato che mostrano solo il lungo startup dell'emulatore STE)

"Pubblicato il 05 lug 2015

Here's some footage from the latest build of my Pole Position remake for the Atari ST. It's the usual formula - a single run of the demo mode followed by some gameplay footage. Sorry about the prolonged white screen at the start of the vid - for some reason this emulated STE takes ages to start up.

There's not much new in the way of new features - I've been busy optimising for speed instead. This build requires an STE and 1 meg of memory, but makes up for it with a vastly improved frame rate (averaging around 22fps during the demo mode). It really never fails to amaze me what the plucky 8Mhz 68000 will do when you ask it nicely - I'm especially impressed with how fast it can scale the cars and roadsite signs sprites given that this isn't something that developers dared to attempt back in the late 80's and early 90's. I guess everybody assumed that you'd need dedicated hardware for this.

I'm still hoping to find some time to get the remaining features in (blimp, starting line, DMA sound samples etc...) but it's in somewhat short supply at the moment between work and family commitments!
              "

Commenta

Molto interessante. Visto che fatica fa il povero 68000 quando c'è lo START iniziale su schermo, a inizio gara? Non appena scompare, il framerate sembra raddoppiare!

Commenta

Sto operando...
                X